The Country Head of Ocean Freight is responsible for the country affairs of the Ocean Freight FCL and LCL products, including Container Logistics Management. He/She follows the instructions of the Region Head of Ocean Freight and ensures execution in his/her country. He/She will work closely with Region Trade Lane Management and with Region Ocean Freight Standards & Governance (LCL & FCL respectively).
The primary purpose of this role is:
i. To execute the Region Ocean Freight product and procurement strategy at COUNTRY level.
ii. To ensure the implementation of Region Ocean Freight Standards & Guidelines at COUNTRY level, in cooperation with Region FCL & LCL Ocean Freight Standards & Governance.
iii. To monitor operational performance of carriers.
iv. Be Accountable for the overall operational performance in his/her COUNTRY.
v. To monitor budget and EBIT2 performance of ocean freight related products at COUNTRY level.
Trade Lane Management & Procurement
• Execute VOC/NVOCC Carrier Policy/Strategy within PA group policies, including monitoring of adherence to Region Carrier Policy.
• Regular exchange with Region Ocean Freight on Region Carrier Policy including corrective actions.
• Maintain and cultivate regular contacts with carriers and vendors at COUNTRY level.
• Report to the Region Head of Ocean Freight about meetings and agreements with defined carriers and vendors.
• Ensure that capacity agreements for FCL are maintained in the respective systems.
• Interface between COUNTRY Ocean Freight and Region Ocean Freight in steering execution of Trade Lane Concept (incl. monitoring).
• Regular exchange with Region Ocean Freight about local opportunities / rate levels.
• Monitor Inbound/Outbound volume development/trade lane aligned with target setting.
• Actively engage in preparation of launching of new guaranteed Panalpina CCS services.
• Support implementation of EDI Interfaces and ocean freight IT applications.
• Prepare and manage all relevant product information needed by Region Ocean Freight LCL to maintain data in Ocean Freight LCL product modules.
• Track COUNTRY procurement execution against plan with respect to volumes and carriers and initiate and track corrective actions as required.
• Provide input to Region Trade Lane Management on pricing analysis and support resolution of Region concerns (e.g. better pricing / selection of core carriers, co-loaders and strategic vendors).
• Create and maintain Country rate visibility.
Support of Sales Functions
• Execute sales strategy jointly with COUNTRY Marketing & Sales to fulfill given growth targets.
• Support Marketing & Sales in creation of Target Lists and in Pricing Issues.
• Validate and ensure market conforming MSR / pricing proposed by COUNTRY Sales and resolve discrepancies with Region counterparts.
• Provide bid support to Region Tender Management on Country rates, consolidation opportunities, and network constraints.
Country Business Implementation
• Stay informed on the closing report at the end of each account implementation project. Analyze and identify root cause problems.
• Coordinate critical operational interventions, as directed by the bid owner, to secure short term stability of account.
• Support operational delivery.
Ocean Freight Operational Delivery (in cooperation with the Region Ocean Freight Operations Manager)
• Define, optimize and implement Region standards & guidelines, as directed by the Region Ocean Freight Standards & Governance Manager and in line with Global Guidelines and Standards.
• Provide feedback on procedures and give guidance to efficiently analyze and qualify potential improvement initiatives, driving timely implementation within the organization and monitoring adherence to implemented standards.
• Support the development of process guidelines and templates to assist implementation and adherence to processes.
• Support the development of a cross-functional planning schedule to synchronize all planning processes and ensure adherence to this schedule by respective organizations.
• Define KPI framework to be applied in the Region for SLAs with carriers and NVOCCs, as directed by Region Ocean Freight Trade Lane Manager
• Monitor performance (sub-contractors, productivity, quality of service, data, incident mgmt) and initiate, implement and control corrective actions.
• Evaluate and monitor operational risks, ensure contingency planning, and implement corrective actions.
• Implement and execute Pantainer Instructions.
• Support implementation of EDI Interfaces and Seawarder application platform.
• Monitor execution of LCL route network grid to/from worldwide CFS locations within defined scope of responsibility including compliance thereof.
• Monitor development of payload utilization in existing PA CCS services (CBM/TEU and CBM/UNIT).
• Monitor compliance with government rules & regulations related to execution of NVOCC Carrier Strategy/Policy.
• Monitor compliance with reporting of volumes/statistics.
• Manage subcontractors on COUNTRY level in line with Global Standards.
• Define, evaluate and monitor performance of booking staff.
• Drive continuous improvement of COUNTRY operations.
• Escalate quality / performance issues to Region Ocean Freight when necessary.
• Overall responsibility for file maintenance; shipping run, ASI ratio, DSO, job costing accuracy as per guidelines or defined targets.
• Ensure the correct and full use of standard operational applications (FOS, PanTrace, PRT etc.).
• Adhere to global standards/KPIs regarding identification of incidents through IHT tool.
• Update and support rolling forecast estimates on a monthly basis.
• Monitor productivity KPIs against budget.
Decision Making Authority
• Authority as delegated by the Country Manager, in accordance with Region standards and guidelines and Competence Sharing Agreements.
• Performance management of assigned team.
• Service offering in line with corporate guidelines.
Function- / Market & Industry Knowledge / Business Acumen / Process working
• Excellent knowledge of the ocean freight industry
Good knowledge of
• Panalpina's strategy and products.
• Trends and opportunities.
• Markets (customers, competitors, suppliers, overall environment).
• Procurement and capacity management for ocean freight, including service contracts.
• Business administration.
• Supplier management, NVOCC operations and applicable rules.
• The COUNTRY concerned, including knowledge of local suppliers.
• Local laws and regulations.
• process engineering and improvement methodologies
• Minimum 5 years of ocean freight experience either on the forwarder or carrier side.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in people management and leadership, including recruitment, training & development, coaching, conflict and performance management.
• Work experience in a global forwarding / logistics company.
• CIFFA or equivalent.
• Fluent in English (written and spoken)
• Other languages (written and spoken) an asset
• High level of accuracy, credibility and accountability;
• Ability to be effectively managed through KPI setting and measurement;
• Capable to generate creative ideas/solutions;
• High result orientation;
• High accountability, responsible, reliable, detailed oriented;
• Strong strategic planning and organizational skills – prioritize, plan, assign and control;
• Effective listening;
• Ability to clearly and concisely present both written and/or oral information;
• Effective team player and advanced interpersonal skills;
• Initiative and pro-active.
Educational background / Work experience
• Higher education level recommendable – ideally a Degree in Accounting;
• Relevant experience – minimum 3-5 years;
• Profound knowledge of local GAAP;
• Profound knowledge of accounting processes;
• Profound knowledge of local tax legislation.