Ensure effective implementation of the local Commercial Banking strategy, value propositions and initiatives:
• Plan the implementation approach for the strategy and value propositions for the short and medium term;
• Take the lead in framing the Commercial Banking priorities, initiatives and activities that will lead to effective implementation of the strategy and value propositions;
• Ensure buy-in from relevant internal stakeholders on specific initiatives and activities by engaging with country leaders in other segments and enabling functions;
• Drive the implementation of the Commercial Banking Customer Value Proposition, Industry Value Proposition, Customer Value Chain Analysis and Business Development Committee initiatives. Support the delivery of the Delivering the Firm (DTF) concept;
• Structure client portfolios using agreed Commercial Banking segmentation criteria;
• Ensure that customers are migrated to the appropriate segments to achieve optimal customer experience and acceptable levels of profitability;
• Match customer portfolios to Relationship Managers based on skill and capacity;
• Ensure that Relationship Managers have a thorough understanding of the products, risks, pricing and profitability of all the Commercial Banking offerings including transactional banking, borrowing, savings and insurance solutions;
• Monitor that customers are offered alternative channels for their banking needs by Relationship Managers;
• Analyse local management information reports to obtain local market intelligence. Use the information to formulate sales plans and to develop performance targets;
• Develop business partnerships with Corporate and Investment Banking as well as Personal Markets teams to ensure maximum leverage of Standard Bank capabilities;
• Ensure that customer contact and relationship management practices in the country are aligned to the Customer Value Proposition and that they are well understood and implemented by Relationship Managers;
• Participate in local industry forums, business chambers, industry events and business networking events to position the value offering of the bank and to develop relationships with potential clients;
Deliver the financial and non-financial targets for Commercial Banking through the Relationship Management team:
• Establish performance scorecard criteria in conjunction with the Standard Bank Rest of Africa and country management team. Measure performance against the scorecard on a monthly basis. Develop alternative initiatives and plans if performance forecasts are not on track;
• Responsible for the achievement of financial budgets of the commercial banking segment through optimal growth of balances, margin management and revenue streams;
• Allocate financial targets to individual Relationship Managers in line with portfolio and local market dynamics;
• Implement and control the pricing tactics and parameters for the commercial banking segment in line with pricing policy and financial targets;
• Measure, track and manage sales targets and budgets for the portfolios;
• Approve and/or make recommendation for all pricing concessions outside the Relationship Managers/Regional and/or Zonal Commercial Head mandate;
• Participate in the review and approval of selected high value credit applications for Commercial Banking customers together with Credit colleagues;
• Responsible for managing controllable costs of the commercial banking segment within agreed budgets;
• Ensure recovery of all fees and revenues due from customers;
• Drive and monitor the financial performance of the commercial banking segment by timeously addressing performance gaps;
• Monitor overall budgets for the area and approve items within mandate;
• Drive and monitor the non-financial performance such as market share, customer acquisition, Net Promoter Score, etc;
Lead the team of Commercial Relationship Managers:
• Develop a high performing team by embedding the bank's performance process, regular performance
feedback and coaching. Address poor performance.
• Motivate team members and ensure that they receive recognition for work well done.
• Determine development needs of the team and ensure that development opportunities (training, rotation,
on-the-job learning) are budgeted for and executed.
• Maintain a succession plan for the team by reviewing the skills of the team at least twice a year and
having career conversations with them.
• Interview and recruit new members of the team, including determining the appropriate salary with input
from the Human Capital Business Partner.
• Create workforce plans for the area to ensure that current and future business requirements can be met.
Such plans should be revisited at least twice a year.
• Use workforce plans to obtain headcount approvals on an annual basis and as input into the financial
• Create quarterly leave plans to ensure adequate coverage. Approve leave requests ad leave sale
• Monitor overtime on a monthly basis. Analyse reasons for overtime and create actions to address the
• When required, initiate disciplinary processes for team members. Resolve grievances raised by team
members, escalating only if unresolved.
• Allocate work packages to teams. Monitor progress of deliverables.
• Evaluate requests for new resources (people, budgets and equipment) and motivate to mandate holders
• Monitor departmental expenditure against approved budgets. Approve purchase orders and invoices
within the allocated financial mandate. Escalate out of budget or items higher than the approved mandate
to a more senior manager.
• Continuously identify areas in the department that can work more efficiently or where cost can be
• Monitor adherence to departmental service level agreements and address shortcomings.
Manage and monitor the risks for the Commercial banking function in the country:
• Ensure that processes, control requirements and risk management frameworks that are in place for the area are understood by all members of the team;
• Review assurance and audit reports that relate to the area and contribute to the development and implementation of remediation plans;
• Ensure that all evidence requirements for control reviews and audits are supplied timeously;
• Log Risk Incidents as a result of operational errors or fraud in the department. Participate in formal investigations. Ensure that all events are properly analysed and closed out;
• Ensure that the teams understand the compliance requirements in the function. Create actions to address gaps.
• Monitor compliance training attendance on a monthly basis and ensure that teams understand the importance of completing it;
• Contrite to the updates of Business Continuity Management plans for the business area. Participate in tests, create corrective actions for gaps identified during testing;
• Ensure that all team members understand control requirements related to physical and systems access control and other information security requirements;
• Ensure that the department has trained and adequate numbers of health and safety representatives;
First degree in commerce or business administration, post graduate business qualification such as MBA;
3-4 years experience in managing a portfolio of high value and commercial banking clients (Sales - Personal and Business Banking);
3-4 years experience in budgeting, forecasting, cost control and client financial analysis (Finance - Management Accounting);
3-4 years experience in managing a sales team (Sales - Personal and Business Banking);
Customer Understanding (level ADVANCED - Mastered the concept, able to act independently, provides guidance and training to others);
Strategic Planning and Reporting (level SEASONED - Applies concepts without requiring supervision, able to provide technical guidance when required);
Operational Planning (level ADVANCED - Mastered the concept, able to act independently, provides guidance and training to others);
Financial Acumen (level SEASONED - Applies concepts without requiring supervision, able to provide technical guidance when required);
Product Knowledge (level EXPERT - Provides leadership in this field both within the organisation and in the larger industry);
Financial statement analysis (level ADVANCED - Mastered the concept, able to act independently, provides guidance and training to others);
Client Knowledge (level SEASONED - Applies concepts without requiring supervision, able to provide technical guidance when required);
Business Leadership Cluster - Driving Delivery of Results;
Business Leadership Cluster - Aligning Business to Strategy;
People Leadership Cluster - Inspiring Performance for Execution;
People Leadership Cluster - Holding People Accountable;
Enterprise Leadership Cluster - Purposeful Collaboration;
Solving Problems - Adopting Practical Approaches;
Influencing People - Interacting with People;
Influencing People - Making Decisions;
Adapting Approaches - Embracing Change;
Adapting Approaches - Resolving Conflict;
Empresa líder em Banca / Serviços Financeiros / Seguros